• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I just finished reading “Pure Pleasure” by Gary Thomas, on Saturday, and it was really good. Scroll down if you want to read my review. Now I’m starting “Emotional Vampires At Work” by Albert J. Bernstein. Here’s the description from GoodReads.com:
DO YOU WORK WITH VAMPIRES? LEARN HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF! Banish the bloodsuckers from your professional life Whether it’s a coworker, subordinate, or boss, there’s at least one emotional vampire in every office. These people try your patience, sap your energy, and add an entirely unhealthy dynamic to workplace productivity. The bestselling author of “Emotional Vampires” and “Dinosaur Brains” shows you how to spot and deal effectively with these dysfunctional elements in the workplace:
ANTISOCIALS, who crave excitement in all its forms, including aggression
If your boss or a coworker is trying to push you around . . .
“Learn that the most important battle to fight with a bully is in your own mind.”
HISTRIONICS, who believe that what it looks like is more important than what it is
If your boss thinks any problem can be solved with a motivational seminar . . .
“Learn how to get a manager wannabe to actually manage.”
NARCISSISTS, who believe that the universe revolves around them
If your CEO makes Louis XVI look like Gandhi . . .
“Learn techniques that diplomats have used throughout history to teach infantile monarchs to act like grown-ups.”
OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVES, who can’t seem to see the forest for the trees
If there is absolutely no task that your boss considers too small to micromanage . . .
“Learn to be a Control-Freak Whisperer by seeing your boss’s fear rather than your own irritation.”
PARANOIDS, who think they’ve found the simple truths that explain everything
If you work in a place where you can’t get ahead unless you drink the Kool-Aid . . .
“Learn how to recognize a toxic belief system before it poisons you.”
VAMPIRE CULTURES: when vampires get promoted to positions of power, they remake organizations in their own image . . .
“Learn the 15 warning signs that tell you to get out before sunset.”
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your musing in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks! 😀