Welcome to the very first edition of SWYK! (Share What You Know). This meme asks you to share 3 tips on one of the topics below, OR 3 tips on a different topic that you know well and feel others would benefit from!
This week’s topics:
• Setting Up a WordPress blog
• Finding a Theme or Blog Template
• Choosing a “Focus Word” for the Year
• Coming Up With New Content for Your Blog
My Choice: CHOOSING A ‘FOCUS WORD’ FOR THE YEAR
[bonus: I linked the first topic to a post I’d already written — so I’ve given you 2 answers, today!]
You’ve probably heard of this … where people are choosing just ONE word for the year that will help guide the decisions they make, and give them focus. Some choose to pick one word to focus on, rather than making those (almost-never-accomplished) New Years’ Resolutions. 😉
For me, I have done the “One Word” thing for the past 2 years, and have found it to be much more helpful –and lasting– than Resolutions. Having just ONE word to remember and focus on has been easier to stick with past January or February. The first year, I chose “Trust“… I wanted to learn to trust God more. And it worked! Last year, I chose “Free“: I wanted to live more “freely”… stop living by others’ expectations as much. And I did just that!
This year, I chose the word “CHOOSE“. But before I tell you why, I’ll give you a brief background…
I’d originally thought I was going to go with the word “Possible“. I had been thinking that that would be my 2015 word, and had been counting on that for several months already. However, at the last minute (a couple of weeks before the new year), I started to feel that that wasn’t right… So, here’s what I did to “fix” that:
1) I “listened” for other words that might be a good fit — meaning, whenever I was reading posts on Facebook, or reading a book, or watching TV, if a word really hit me, and made an impact, I filed it in my “maybe” list for possible focus words.
2) I tried on variations of each word, asking myself, intuitively, if I felt like each one would work for the goals I wanted to accomplish in 2015. And I kept going until one really felt better than all the others…
3) One word always seems to be very persistent — pick me! pick me! — and seems to stand out more than all the others. For me, this year, it was ‘CHOOSE’. It is a word that came up on January 1st… so after the New Year had already come & gone… But it fit perfectly.
(and yes… this process seems to –for me, anyway– be very much based on Intuition)
So, why did I need this word?
I am prone to making excuses. And, exceptions. So my goals often go unmet. However, this time — while setting my goals, and choosing my “One Word” — I read Brendon Burchard’s book, “The Charge“, and also watched Michael Hyatt’s 3-part series on how to make this year Your Best Year Ever. And, through both of those, the idea of “choice” stood out to me. Not only that, but I also read an article my sister emailed to me about “non-zero days“, and it, too, spoke of choices (or, perhaps it was the Reddit forum that that article led me to). Regardless, the word just wouldn’t leave me alone. It fit with the goals I have set for myself, and it works for various areas of life — not just one or another. As such, “CHOOSE” is my word. Now I can “choose” between temporary gratification, or my end goals… I can “choose” between this path or that one. It just works.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own SWYK blog post, or share a brief answer in the comments here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks! 😀